How Can I Attend the State Convention on April 30th?
Get tickets here and bring your email receipt with you on April 30th. If you want to be a delegate, read below.
Who Can Be a Delegate to the State or National Convention?
Any registered Republican who is eligible to vote in Arizona is eligible to be elected as a Delegate or Alternate to the Republican National Convention in Cleveland from July 18 to 22, 2016. The Delegates attend the National Convention to vote for the party’s nominee for President of the United States and perform other party business. State Convention Delegates, who elect the National Convention Delegates at the April 30, 2016 State Convention, must be duly qualified Republican electors of their respective district and county. Only Republican Precinct Committeemen elected, or appointed by their County Board of Supervisors before December 31, 2015, may vote at the county and district meetings where delegates are selected to attend the state convention on April 30th. Get your tickets to the State Convention at www.azgop.org
How do I become a Delegate to the State Convention?
Attend the election meeting held by your local county Republican committee and notify them that you wish to be elected. Use your address to find your district number here. Delegates and Alternates must also get a ticket for admission to the April 30th Convention here. The meeting times and locations are below:
|Maricopa LD 1||March 28th||6:00 PM||Desert Hills Community Church, 34835 N. 7th St., Phoenix, AZ 85086.
Cathy Schwanke, Chairwoman
|Maricopa LD 4||April 2nd||9:00 AM||Starpointe Residence Club of Estrella, 17665 W. Elliot Rd. Goodyear, AZ 85338.
Dick Newcomer, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 12||March 31st||7:00 PM||Cafeteria of Cooley Middle School; 1100 S. Recker Rd. Gilbert, AZ 85296.
Mickie Niland, Chairwoman
|Maricopa LD 13||March 29th||6:00 PM||Tuscany Falls Clubhouse Ballroom; 16262 Clubhouse Drive Goodyear, AZ 85395.
Wally Campbell, Chairwoman
|Maricopa LD 15||March 29th||6:30 PM||Arizona Project; 3375 E. Shea Blvd., Suite 2 Phoenix, AZ 85028.
David Henderson, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 16||March 31st||7:00 PM||Liberty Arts Academy; 3015 S. Power Rd, Mesa, AZ 85212.
Denis Brimhall, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 17||March 29th||7:00 PM||Tri-City Baptist Church; 2211 W Germann Rd, Chandler, AZ 85286.
Shadow Asgari, Chairwoman
|Maricopa LD 18||April 5th||6:00 PM||Quality Inn; 5121 E La Puente Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85044.
Mary Fritsche, Chairwoman
|Maricopa LD 19||March 28th||6:30 PM||Girdy Hickman’s House; 11141 W. Laurelwood Ln. Avondale 85392.
George Ortiz, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 20||March 28th||6:00 PM||Washington School District Offices; 4650 W Sweetwater Glendale, AZ 85304.
Naomi Kruse, Chairwoman
|Maricopa LD 21||March 26th||9:00 AM||Republican Office; 10050 W. Bell Rd. Suite 50 Sun City, AZ 85351.
Chris Herring, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 22||March 28th||5:30 PM||Westbrook Vistas Rec Center; 18825 N Country Club Pkwy Peoria, AZ 85382.
Eric Morgan, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 23||March 31st||6:00 PM||FHUSD Learning Center; 16000 East Palisades Blvd. Fountain Hills, AZ 85268.
Jim O’Connor, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 24||March 31st||6:30 PM||AZGOP HQ; 3501 N. 24th Street Phoenix, AZ 85016.
Timothy Lee, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 25||March 30th||6:00 PM||Mesa Utilities Building; 640 N. Mesa Dr. Mesa, AZ 85201.
Ian Murray, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 26||April 5th||6:30 PM||Mesa Utilities Building; 640 N. Mesa Dr. Mesa, AZ 85201.
Raymond Jones, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 27||April 5th||6:00 PM||Bethesda Baptist; 906 E. Jones st. Phoenix, AZ 85042.
Ron Harders, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 28||April 6th||7:00 PM||Madison School District Headquaters; 5601 N 16th St, Phoenix, AZ 85016.
Tom Haney, Chairman and Kathy Petsas
|Maricopa LD 29||March 28th||6:45 PM||10035 W Turney Ave, Phoenix AZ 85037.
Alan Gaugert, Chairman
|Maricopa LD 30||April 2nd||1:00 PM||First United Methodist Church; 7102 N. 58th Dr. Glendale, AZ 85301.
Anna Stowe, Chairman
|Pima LD 2||April 2nd||10:00 AM||Quail Creek Madera Clubhouse; 2045 E Quail Crossing Blvd, Green Valley, AZ 85614.
Sergio Arellano, Chairman
|Pima LD 3||March 26th||9:00 AM||Kettle Restaurant; 748 W. Starr Pass Tucson, AZ 85713.
John Holden, Chairman
|Pima LD 4||March 26th||9:00 AM||Kettle Restaurant; 748 W. Starr Pass Tucson, AZ 85713.
Mikki Niemi, Chairman
|Pima LD 9||April 2nd||8:30 AM||La Paloma Urgent Care Center; 4001 E Sunrise Drive, Tucson , Arizona 85718.
Bradley Johns, Chairman
|Pima LD 10||April 4th||5:30 PM||Wilmot Public Library; 530 North Wilmot Road, Tucson, AZ 85711.
Parralee Schneider, Chairwoman
|Pima LD 11||April 9th||10:00 AM||Oro Valley Public Library; 1305 W. Naranja Drive, Oro Valley, AZ 85737.
Al Melvin, Chairman
|Pima LD 14||April 2nd||9:30 AM||16461 S Houghton Rd, Corona de Tucson, Az 85641.
William Sobeck, Chairman
|Apache||March 30th||6:00 PM||Apache County Board of Supervisors Room; 75 W Cleveland St, St Johns, AZ 85936.
Delos Bond, Chairman
|Yavapai||April 9th||8:00 AM||Centennial Center at Antelope Hills; 1989 Clubhouse Dr. Prescott, AZ 86301.
Mark Sensmeier, Chairman
|Mohave||April 9th||1:00 PM||Vista Del Sol RV Resort, 3249 Felipe Dr, Bullhead City, AZ 86442.
Michael Ward, Chairman
|La Paz||April 1st||7:00 PM||Taco Mio Restaurant, 130 East Main Street, Quartzsite, AZ 85346.
Russell Sias, Chairman
|Yuma||March 29th||7:00 PM||3097 S. 8th Ave, Yuma, AZ 85364.
Jonathan Lines, Chairman
|Pinal||March 26th||10:00 AM||Florence High School, 1000 S. Main St. Florence, AZ 85132.
Irene Littleton, Chairman
|Gila||April 2nd||10:00 AM||Tiny’s Family Restaurant; 600 Highway 260, Payson, AZ 85541.
Gary Morris, Chairman
|Navajo||March 30th||7:00 PM||Silver Creek Senior Center in Snowflake, 1658 S Main St, Snowflake, AZ 85937.
Annette Hardman, 2nd Vice Chair
|Greenlee||March 29th||6:00 PM||Tyler’s Taste of Texas; 701 S. Coronado Bvld. Clifton, AZ 85540.
Roy Tyler, Chairman
|Cochise||April 2nd||10:00 AM||American Legion Hall; 225 E. Allen St. Tombstone, AZ 85638.
Casey Jones, Chairman
|Santa Cruz||March 26th||10:00 AM||777 N Grand Ave, Nogales, AZ 85621
Zach Taylor, Chairman
|Coconino||April 2nd||9:00 AM||DoubleTree Hotel; 1175 W. Rt 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001.
Joan Harris, Chairwoman
|Graham||March 31st||6:00 PM||El Charro Restaurant; 601 W Main St, Safford, AZ 85546.
J. Duane Rhodes, Chairman
How do I become a Delegate to the National Convention?
- All Arizonans interested in attending the Republican National Convention as an elected Delegate or Alternate should submit their name to the AZGOP Nominating Committee online here. Deadline is April 10th.
- Three Delegates and three Alternates will be elected in each Congressional District Caucus at the State Convention on April 30, 2016.
- Twenty-eight Delegates and twenty-eight Alternates will be elected At-Large by the entire Convention after the Congressional District Caucuses elect their Delegates.
- Counties and Legislative Districts are holding their meetings to elect Delegates and Alternates to the State Convention between March 26 and April 9, 2016. Details will be announced on March 10th. The Delegates elected to the State Convention on April 30 will elect Delegates and Alternates to the Republican National Convention to be held at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio from July 18 – 22, 2016.
- Find your legislative district or county of residence based on your address here.
- Find your legislative district committee chairman (Maricopa and Pima County here) or your county chairman here. Contact them to find out when and where their delegate election is held.
- UPDATED: The Nominating Committee will review National Delegate candidates solely for eligibility. Submit names here.
UPDATED: Role of the Nominating Committee
- The purpose of the Nominating Committee is to determine eligibility for National Delegates. The sole requirement is that candidates for delegate be qualified Republican electors from Arizona. ALL ELIGIBLE REPUBLICANS WHO SUBMIT THEIR NAME FOR NATIONAL DELEGATE BEFORE THE DEADLINE OF APRIL 10th WILL BE ON THE BALLOT.
How much does it cost to attend the National Convention?
- Delegates, Alternates and guest are responsible for their own expenses in attending the National Convention. The cost for airfare, hotel and meals are estimated to be a minimum of $
When and where is the Convention being held?
- The 2016 Republican National Convention will be held at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, July 18 -22, 2016.
How many Delegates are sent to the National Convention?
- Arizona sends 58 delegates and 55 alternates.
Which presidential candidate do the Delegates vote for?
- State law binds all 58 delegates to the winner of the March 22, 2016 election. See ARS 16-241 through 243 for more information.
Who were the Delgates to the 2012 Convention in Tampa Bay?
- Governor Jan Brewer (Glendale) – Congressional District 8
- Governor Gregory Mendoza (Gila River Indian Community) – At Large
- Secretary of State Ken Bennett (Phoenix) – Congressional District 7
- Treasurer Doug Ducey (Paradise Valley) – Congressional District 6
- Senate President Steve Pierce (Prescott) – Congressional District 4
- Speaker of the House Andy Tobin (Paulden) – At Large
- Joseph Abate (Phoenix) – At large
- Donna Alu (Tucson) – At Large
- Kim Beneli (Concho) – At Large
- Jose Borrajero (Phoenix) – At Large
- Pamela Burruel (Roosevelt) – At Large
- Carolyn Cox (Tucson) – Congressional District 2
- Kevin DeMenna (Phoenix) – At Large
- Marla Festenese (Prescott) – At Large
- Debra Jean Forrest (Mesa) – At Large
- Elaine Gangluff (Phoenix) – At Large
- Paul Gilbert (Paradise Valley) – At Large
- Alberto Gutier (Phoenix) – At Large
- Kip Kempton (Safford) – At Large
- Laura Knaperek (Tempe) – At Large
- Kory Langhofer (Phoenix) – At Large
- John Laurie (Gilbert) – Congressional District 5
- Jonathan Lines (Yuma) – At Large
- Loraine Pellegrino (Phoenix) – At Large
- Randall Pullen (Phoenix) – Congressional District 9
- Constantin Querard (Avondale) – Congressional District 3
- Heather Sandstrom (Mesa) – At Large
- Parralee Schneider (Tucson) – At Large
- Jill Skaufel (Concho) – Congressional District 1
What is the difference between delegates to the State Convention and Delegates to the National Convention?
- Delegates to the State Convention are elected by precinct committeemen at their Legislative District or County Committee meetings in Spring of 2016. Those delegates attend the State Convention on April 30 to vote for delegates to the Republican National Convention. Delegates to the State or National Convention do not have to be precinct committeemen.
I am an appointed, not elected, Precinct Committeeman. Can I vote?
- Only Precinct Committeemen elected or appointed as of December 31, 2015 are eligible to vote at the County and District conventions. Appointments are only made by county board of supervisor’s action upon recommendation of District/County chairs.
How many delegates are sent to the State Convention?
- Delegates to the State Convention are organized by congressional district and allocated according to the number of Republican voters. The current allocation numbers are below according to the official voter registration counts (with rounding errors corrected according to district) as of December 31, 2015.
How are the state delegates allocated?
What does it cost to attend the State Convention?
- The fee to attend the State Convention on April 30, 2016 is $50.00 and includes a $10.00 meal voucher. Tickets are required of delegates, alternates, guests and any others who wish to attend the event. Get your tickets to the State Convention at www.azgop.org
Where can I get more information?